Monday, December 29, 2014

Spring 2015_Adventure One: Who are you now, and who do you want to be?



By the time you arrive to begin this leg of the journey, you will have already completed, or you will be working on completing three tasks, all of which will help you and your peers come to terms with who you are now and who you may want to become: 

  • Via Character Survey
  • 3 Significant Items
  • Six Word Memoir

But how do we really decide who we are?  Identity is a complex array of experiences (good, bad, and in-between) along with a variety of relationships and networks, and like snowflakes, no two are alike, and they are ever-changing.  

So who do you think you are, and who do you want to be?

Going further, are you really who you claim to be?  Do you see yourself through "rose colored glasses" or do you perhaps have a harsh perspective of who you are?

After watching the above video, read a little about Hetain Patel's work below, then respond to the two prompts at the end of this post.

Hetain Patel's surprising performance plays with identity, language and accent -- and challenges you to think deeper than surface appearances. [This is a] delightful meditation on self, with performer Yuyu Rau, and inspired by Bruce Lee. In his compelling stage works, Hetain Patel uses powerful imagery and storytelling to examine questions of identity. "What determines our identities anyway?" asks Hetain Patel. As a child, Patel wanted to be like Spider-Man or Bruce Lee; later, he aimed to be more like his father, who displays a much different kind of bravery. From these ambitions, Patel's new show Be Like Water examines shifting identities of all kinds, using dance and bold imagery to power a story of self-examination and self-creation. As a conceptual artist, Patel has used photography, sculpture, installation and performance to challenge cultural identity. For his work, he has grown a mustache exactly like the one his father wore when he emigrated from India to the United Kingdom in the 1960s, and remixed the practice henna tattooing to incorporate English words and comics books. Patel's conclusion about identity: that it is an ever-shifting game of imitation.

Step One: Think about a time that you gave someone a pretty bad impression of who you are.  Perhaps their judgement about you was unfair, but that's not important for this exercise. Just pick one.  

>In 100 words or less, narrate how this person would describe who you are to others.  Be honest.  This might be a little painful, but it's important.

Step Two: Think about how you would liked that person to have "experienced" you.  (Remember, you are thinking about an experience where someone walked away with a bad impression of who you really are above).  If it would be possible to go back in time to change their perspective about you, what would be that perspective?  How would you want them to see you?

>In 100 words or less, narrate how this person should describe you, ... once they simply had the opportunity to know you better.  Be honest here too, and don't be shy.  Have this narrative "sing your praises".

These are two ends of a constructed identity, and the truth of the matter is that you are probably somewhere in the middle.  ... And, the middle is always shifting from left to right, or from up to down, sort of like a radio dial.  

In this exercise, you will begin to understand who you are now, and you will begin to identify who you want to be, so have some fun with this.

Be sure to complete this prompt (and feel free to write more) before the second lesson on the Better Place Project, Adventure Two.





8 comments:

  1. Austin Wyatt
    He is an annoying person who thinks that he is funny, but he really isn't. He constantly makes really stupid jokes that nobody really finds funny. He ins't all that interesting of a person and rarely speaks up at all. He just follows people around like he really has nothing else to do with his life. He also doesn't seem like a sociable person or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather Luong

    Last semester I was enrolled into a Chemistry 1 Lab. My first day of lab ended horribly. The entire time I had no idea what I was doing and had to depend on my lab partner. My lab partner passed it off as if it wasn't a big deal, but I could tell he was worried that he would be the one doing all the work.

    I would have liked my lab partner to see me as a competent partner who can complete a lab successfully. Once they have had the opportunity to know me better, I want them to be able to describe me as a hardworking, helpful partner who is fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austin Wyatt (Prompt 2)
    I am an annoying person and I know my jokes aren't funny, but that doesn't mean I don't like to say them. I constantly make really stupid jokes that nobody really finds funny, but I love it. I'm not all that interesting of a person and I rarely speaks up unless I really get to know you, then I never shut up. I follow people around because I have nothing else to do and it's fun to just hang out. I'm not a sociable person at all around strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley Borghese
    One of my best friends in high school told me about her first impressions once our friendship progressed to a great place.

    She told me her first impression was that I was loud and basically stupid. I would always talk about the most random things and make jokes she never understood. She didn't want to talk to me but I got to know her and she got to know me.

    Now we are great friends and have intelligent conversations. She now thinks I am smart and if she wants to go out to somewhere new I’m the person she goes to. I wouldn't change a thing because of our current wonderful relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Austin Young
    If I could go back I would show this man that I am not such an immature child. It was a mistake for me to be so comfortable in his home with my friends but my attitude of being carefree and childish was me just having a good time with my friends and not that I am just immature and carefree with life. I do have focus and maturity I just choose the correct time and place which may have been a mistake at that particular time and place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer Benesh
    Once, I got lost in the projectionist booth at Regal. The other person that was with me however knew how to get out of the booth. They would also say that I’m directionally challenged, even though I am not. Also, the person has the impression that I am clutz because I dropped a lot Regal equipment that day.

    After they get to know me better, the person would know that I do know how to get around places. My favorite thing to do in my free time is to explore new places. The person would say that I am not directionally challenged. Also, I am not normally a clutz, I was just having a bad day. The person would normally not think that I am a clutz if they got to know me better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matthew Rensel
    I was born with congenital and progressive bilateral to severe sensorineural hearing loss secondary to enlarged vestibular aqueduct syndrome. I was profoundly deaf at the age of four. Right away I received my first cochlear implant and a starting point for a new lifestyle. Still to this day I'm trying to improve my hearing skills as much as I can. Never do I let my hearing disability as an excuse and I never let any negative comments about me get to me.

    ReplyDelete